Holiday Safety For Pets (What They Put In Their Mouth Matters)

Posted by nhshnds on November 26, 2019 at 9:15 AM


I will never forget Thanksgiving 2007. Not because it was a wonderful gathering of family and time of memory making, but, because that was the night that my little dog, Zoe, began throwing up and became critically ill with her first of many pancreatitis attacks that would occur over the next 12 years. The attack was set into motion following her gobbling up fatty and harmful food that was carelessly left within her reach. The pancreatitis was so severe she ended up in the animal hospital for 2 days. The vet told me they would most likely increase in number and become more severe with time and possibly fatal.  That was my initiative to plunge into the world of pet health care and safety to learn how to keep my Lil' Zoe healthy, active and give her the quality of life all pups deserve.  However, that is all material for another blog (s) and for now I want to focus attention on holiday safety for all our precious pets, in particular, why what they put in their mouth matters.

Holidays ( especially Thanksgiving Feast Day) can put our pets at risk for potential food related health issues.  A house full of people, food and goodies is a gold mine for a "sneaky stealth eating pet" who can be poisoned by eating certain foods with ingredients that may be hazardous to their health. Also, fatty foods and poultry bones can be potentially damaging to their digestive systems.

Here are some Thanksgiving pet safety advice to consider......

Be careful not to drop food where your pet can scarf it up before you can blink an eye. Zoe was and still is a sneaky stealth eater.

Put trash away, cover and keep out of the reach of your pet. If they smell it, it will tempt them!

Don't allow others to feed your pets without your knowledge You may have to announce that before dinner and be on the look out for that soft hearted relative that “just cannot say no to” The Look”

Especially do not feed desserts that may have ingredients that are a “no no” for pets. Yeast dough in a pie can cause dangerous bloating and in the least painful gas. Most people know chocolate is on the no list for dogs, but so are many other ingredients and food to be wary.

Decorative plants can be toxic to some pets. Examples of toxic plants are: Amaryllis, Baby's Breath, Sweet William, Hydrangeas, some ferns, and more.  You can get a detailed list from the ASPCA.

If you believe your pet has been exposed to or eaten something toxic, call your veterinarian immediately. Signs of distress can include: sudden changes in behavior, depression, pain, vomiting, diarrhea and in the case of Zoe's pancreatitis attack, an odd stretching of the neck and arching her body to try and relieve the pain she was experiencing.

The ASPCA Poison Control Hotline is 888-426-4435

I am so thankful to still have my Zoe Girl who just celebrated her 17th birthday in October and I hope these tips will help to keep your pets healthy, safe and happy during the holidays!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kathie Beach

4 Peace Of Mind Pet Care


Categories: None